Sunday, April 18, 2010

Learning and Technology

Before exploring the constructive model of education, social learning theory, a connective approach, and andragogy, I would have to admit that most of my thinking about my own learning was rooted in the behavioral and cognitive schools of thought. Perhaps, there were inklings of ideas concerning constructive theory as I’ve learned quite a bit over the years about how individuals interpret reality (or create meaning) based upon their own cultures and experiences. Modeling of behavior/ thought processes and Vygotsky’s ZPD was familiar territory. But, I had not previously considered the implications of constructivism, social learning theory, connectivism, or andragogy in depth.

Some insights about learning styles beyond the typical visual, auditory, and kinesthetic modes were mentioned in Learning Styles: How Do They Fluctuate? (Gilbert & Swanier, 2008). Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences had been previously considered. However, I was heretofore unknowledgeable about some learning differences related to perception and processing. According Richard Felder (1996), the Felder-Silverman Learning Style Model classifies students as:

sensing learners (concrete, practical, oriented toward facts and procedures) or intuitive learners (conceptual, innovative, oriented toward theories and meanings);
visual learners (prefer visual representations of presented material--pictures, diagrams, flow charts) or verbal learners (prefer written and spoken explanations);
inductive learners (prefer presentations that proceed from the specific to the general) or deductive learners (prefer presentations that go from the general to the specific);
active learners (learn by trying things out, working with others) or reflective learners (learn by thinking things through, working alone);
sequential learners (linear, orderly, learn in small incremental steps) or global learners (holistic, systems thinkers, learn in large leaps).

I was not previously aware of the DISC learning styles model nor the Index of Learning Styles mentioned by Gilbert and Swanier (2008). Through the process of reflecting on learning styles, I’ve come to the conclusion that both I and others most likely utilize adaptive learning strategies and styles. I now believe that learning style has as much to do with nurture as it does with nature. I continue to be a highly visual learner; this is probably related to a highly developed sense of attention to visual detail required by my occupational experiences. But, in some situations, I prefer reliance upon my hearing. While I sometimes enjoy immediately applying knowledge, I will often think upon a concept for some time before making a decision what to do with new information.

Technology is quickly becoming a way of life in my career and personal life. At this point, I locate almost all necessary information through the internet. I use online services to shop, to advertise my businesses, for market research, to share and communicate with family, clients, and students, for personal research, and for my career training. I use all sorts of computer-based programs and games for teaching, for recording audio and video, and for creative purposes such as writing and composing.

Bibliography

Gibert, J. & Swanier, C. Learning Styles: How do They Fluctuate? Institute for Learning Styles Journal. Volume 1, Fall 2008. Retrieved on 4-18-10 from http://www.auburn.edu/~witteje/ilsrj/Journal%20Volumes/Fall%202008%20Volume%201%20PDFs/Learning%20Styles%20How%20do%20They%20Fluctuate.pdf

Felder, R. Matters of Style. ASEE Prism, 6(4), 18-23. December 1996. Retreived on 4-18-10 from http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/Papers/LS-Prism.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment